What Separates Us From God?
Question: “What separates us from God? It is not God’s will that we be separated from Him. How can we renew our relationship with God?”
It is not God’s will that we be separated from Him. He wants a close relationship with us like He had in the garden with Adam. But our actions and attitudes can nevertheless separate us from God.
The primary factors are:
- Sin. Sin will separate us from God in all aspects of our life. We know that God does not listen to sinners (John 9:31).
- Unforgiveness. Unforgiveness is considered a sin and separates us from God.
- Lack of faith, which is a sin, can separate us from God.
- Not having God’s Word in our heart. If we do not have God’s Word in our heart, we do not know God’s will. If we do not know God’s Word, then how can we be obedient?
- Not being obedient to God’s will when we know God’s will.
A poor attitude or ignorance can also separate us from God.
- Ignoring where you stand with God will not only separate you from Him, but can put some in a state of mind where they are not aware that they are separated from Him.
- Believing Jesus exists without making any effort to seek His will.
- Some seek to spice up their lives. They seek signs and wonders, turning to false prophets and separating themselves from God instead of letting faith be their spiritual high.
- Pride is putting us ahead of God. This is what caused the fall of man.
When we analyze the above entries, we find that they all entail an act of disobedience. Disobedience is classified as sin, and sin separates us from God. We can be close to God only when we have repented of our sins. There is no in-
your iniquities have made a separation between you and your God, and your sins have hidden his face from you so that he does not hear. For your hands are defiled with blood and your fingers with iniquity; your lips have spoken lies; your tongue mutters wickedness (Isaiah 59:2-
We need to confess our sins and return to a full relationship with our heavenly Father.
Next Section -