Who Is The Trinity?
Question: “Who is the Trinity and what is the relationship with the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit?”
God the Father, Jesus the Son, and the Holy Spirit are three in one and are often referred to as the Trinity.
While the Bible does not mention the word trinity, many verses indicate that the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are one. However, many religions have different perceptions of the relationship among the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit as demonstrated in the following seven examples.
1. There are three independent gods (Tri-
Jesus and the Holy Spirit have the divine attributes, characteristics and qualities which are not possible for even the highest created being and therefore can only be God. Tri-
2. There is only one Person who is God, and Christ was His first Creation (Arianism). Throughout scripture, the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are considered equal and God. Arianism is not Biblical.
3. Sabellianism is the nontrinitarian or anti-
4. The Father is God. The Son and the Holy Ghost are not God, but created creatures, made by the Father, in privileged positions, agreeing in all things with the Father. [Arian] This is the closest view to Islam, Jehovah's Witnesses, and similar religions. The Bible teaches that Jesus is God and the Holy Spirit is God. The position of Arius is not Biblical.
5. The Father is God. The Son is God. The Holy Ghost is God. There are at least three Gods [Tri-
6. There is one Godhead existing in three Persons [Trinitarianism] [Nearly all Christians]. A Trinitarian believes that:
The Father is God.
The Son is God.
The Holy Ghost is God.
The Father is not the Son.
The Father is not the Holy Ghost.
The Son is not the Holy Ghost.
There is precisely one perfect and indivisible God, not three "Gods.”
Then God said, “Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness (Genesis 1:26). The “our” could only be the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
Jesus said, I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever -
And, All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit (Matthew 28:18-
And He said, Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one (Mark 12:29). Therefore, the Godhead is one God while being separate Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
May the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God [Father], and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all (2 Corinthians 13:14).
We can picture the Father as the heart of God, Jesus as the face of God, and the Holy Spirit as the voice of God.
It is not easy to define a dividing line among God’s personality, the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. While each has some different attributes and functions, each also overlaps into the other two personalities. Likewise, it is hard for the limited human mind to totally grasp one God and the relationship of God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit. In meditating through the Word, we find there are many powers and actions of God that we are not able to comprehend, but that we do accept as the flawless Word of God.
Next Section -